What is the difference between meta TITLE and DESCRIPTION?

kristen

Hello guys.

I'm trying to make a html page title and description meta-tags and so I wonder - how to give title in html correctly and how to set it apart from DESCRIPTION meta-tag (do I need to do so?) ? Can you please describe what is the difference between them.
Also I'd like to know better of html title tag attributes - what they can be?

Thanks a lot!

Lopez

Description and Title - are different tags with different function.

The meta description tag in HTML is the 160 character snippet used to summarize a web page’s content. Search engines sometimes use these snippets in search results to let visitors know what a page is about before they click on it. Be advised that Google does NOT use Meta Description tags to rank your site but may use it in the text for a search results snippet. So, you may probably write it more for your site's users rather than for search engine's robots.

On the other hand, Title appears on the top of all browser pages, resembling a title for that page. The title should describe the content you are writing about and be no longer then 60 characters (because different browsers displays different length of it). So if you keep your titles under 60 characters you can expect your titles to display properly. When you will think about how to put title in html keep in mind: it's considered that pages should use your content keywords in the title.

Regarding title tag attributes... The title attribute is part of the Global Attributes, and can be used on any HTML element like <p> or <div>. It's not the same as html5 title element of the page, of course :)

Lopez

Just create a new CSS class with font and color you like and then use this class with TITLE attribute (class="your-title-class-name").

Jack Leo

The meta title is the title of your page, as the name implies. The meta description provides a brief summary of the page's content. This is done on a page-by-page basis rather than as a site-wide setting.

Mixlikes

A title tag is very limited while the description gives you more space to tell users what services you are offering.